Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

Some new goals...

I have been thinking a lot lately about my goals. My fall shows were really disappointing, so I know that I need to refocus my "product" or my attitude. Comes back to that whole art/craft, love/money... grossly simplified into this dichotomy, but I sure many other artist/crafters struggle with this. How do I define artistic and creative success?

Several intense conversations with the hubby ended up with me in tears. I feel I need to make sales to justify my status as an artist and there is so much out there now about marketing that supports the idea that financial compensation validates our creativity. The days of the starving artist are over thanks to the wonders of technology. We can email, blog, facebook, Flickr, Etsy, and Art Fire our way to success. (Those are the only ones I've done - that's my limit :})
Diane Gilleland of Crafty Pod did a great interview with Paul Overton of Dudecraft about crafting for money or passion that really affected me. Go listen! Seriously, go listen... I'll still be here.

So, they inspired me to give myself a break from my previous goal of a show a month (hey - I did 3 in October - that should tide me over and I'll pick up in February if I'm ready). Instead, I am going to focus on making what I want to make, blissing out in my process, maybe playing, not yelling at my kids. And I am going to work on some of my skills, mainly polymer clay, photography, blogging, and soldering (okay, that list could go on FOREVER... there are so many new things I want to learn).

Part of my photography problem is lighting. Setting up everything out on the deck... in Oregon... in the fall equals chilly and very wet, not good for me or my jewelry, so I am making a light box.
Here it is - in process! With the resident cat investigating (my silly iPhone photo) and now sleeping in it. Tissue paper, white or pale gray posterboard, my 2 clamp-on lamps with Ott Lite bulbs and I will be ready to rock!
If you want to make one too, here are the two great links I found:
Inexpensive Light Tent and Strobist $10 Light Box They explain it so well, I don't need to paraphrase for you.

I don't really have an answer to my question: How do I define artistic and creative success? Being artistic and creative are essential to my view of myself and my world, so if I feel artistic and creative, could that in itself be my success?

1 comment:

  1. http://voodoonotes.blogspot.com/2009/11/procrastination-self-discipline-desire.html

    ReplyDelete