Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Halloween "fire goddess" dress

The theme for this year's Halloween was supposed to be Phantom of the Opera, but then in August I had my hair done with gorgeous red streaks (Thank you, Chica!) and the concept changed to match the hair, which is now faded anyway. In honor of the red streaks, I wanted to do FIRE, so then Dyl needed a costume to coordinate, and what could be more perfect than Fire and Ice, Opposites Attract.It's your basic bridesmaid dress, purchased at Brides Against Breast Cancer charity sale. Starting with a pre-made dress and a red dress saved me so much time from spray painting my old white prom dress or constructing a new bodice from scratch.First step, cut out the lining and crinoline at mid-thigh, pin up drape, remove rhinestone accent, and cut jagged edges to be the flames.Then I added a new crinoline of red sparkle tulle to the remaining lining. And crinolines of orange tulle, part loosely gathered and at the slit, tightly gathered for volume. I sewed the orange tulle on folded (machine gathered long edge, fold edge at bottom) and then hand cut the fold apart into flames. The extra scraps were made into flame poofs along with scrap yellow tulle from Aeryn's 3 year old belle costume.The long side drape was pinned various ways and then finally stitched up with more flame poofs tucked in. And I added a red velvet "strap" and a vintage rhinestone pin. The side is accented with a flame sequin applique.
Look, Momo in my pictures ^~^ as always.

Next up... the accessories, and maybe I'll work on making the Ice man look cool too!

No comments:

Post a Comment